Friday, January 12, 2007

Busan Temple Jan

This temple is the biggest Buddhist temple in Busan called Beomeosa, the biggest I believe in the area. Steve and I hiked around for a couple hours taking in the sights.

Steve stepping up to ring that bell!


I am still amazed by the detailing on the buildings here. It's funny when you see these beautiful displays of their architecture, and than also see what many people live in. I think a way to describe some of these areas of houses would be shanty towns. Not everyone is rich though.


I keep thinking how this might look in summer with all the plants in their prime. Granted we wouldn't have had the view that we did have if we would have gone up then.

See, the view!!!!

We walked up a ways before we got to this section of the temple. You walk through the gate and this is the first sight that greets you..........and then you look to the side and see the vending machines.....I guess Buddhist monks like the munchie junk as well.

Some of the sculpture work was in the coolest spots. We saw this in what would be the brush perched on a rock/boulder.


This is the detailing on the lantern in the above picture.


This is just an example of the artwork on the sides of all of the buildings here.


These types of statues are Buddhist, it's a place where you can pray as far as I have observed. This is the largest one I've seen so far though.


The turtle is a tribute to Korea's famous Turtle ships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home